Thursday, February 18, 2016

Survival skills

Discovered some new things about elementary school education.  Before I go on, I should issue the caveat that it's often hard to understand what's happening at school by asking your six year old.  It's a lot like traveling in a foreign country where everyone is a compulsive liar who complains about eating broccoli.  For example, back in Maine, Tessa and Lily often complain about being bullied.  But their credibility is shot when I ask who the bully is and they identify the most milquetoast kid in the northeast.  This kid couldn't bully his reflection.  In fact, when I first saw him I mistook him for a crash test dummy.  When I ask what the "bully" did, they usually say something like "after I grabbed the toy from him he went and told the teacher!"  I usually say "Damn him!  Damn him to hell!" unless Amy is listening, when I say "Well, Tess, that sounds more like a disagreement about property rights."  Lily and Tessa went so far as to create a list of their bullies (which, ironically, is definitely grounds for bullying).

Back to Australia.  Physical education apparently includes survival skills.  I suppose I should expect that, given that we're in the deadliest place on earth aside from Antarctica.  However, I was expecting guest lectures by Bear Grylls and field trips to the Outback.  I wasn't expecting when Tessa came home and said "Do you know how much water is stored in your thigh?"

Lesson #1.  Her gym teacher opened by commenting on how important it is to drink water.  Not seeing a transition here - but she then went on to assert that a great deal of water is stored in your thigh.  She had everyone look at their thighs.  In fact, she went on, if you were trapped on a desert island, you could survive by eating a thigh.  Of course, she added, you wouldn't want to eat your own thigh.  Unless you had to.

Hmmm.  I thought cannibalism was year 4.

I see two options here.  1) Tessa's gym teacher is an anxious woman who recently watched 127 Hours and doesn't know when to stop talking and 2) Tessa's gym teacher is a psychotic woman who recently watched Silence of the Lambs.

1 comment:

Ann Marie (AMR) said...

Okay this blog is the best thing ever. Not just this post (which like the others is awesome in its candor and hilarity), but the whole thing. Can't wait to have the Douglass clan back in the US. But truly enjoying following the adventures from afar!